Under the constitution, one of the functions of the Commission is to conduct examinations for appointment to Civil Services/Posts of the Union. It conducts their examinations spread over 42 regular centers throughout the country. The Civil Services examination is a single and combined examination for recruitment to Indian Administrative Services (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and the other higher Central Services (i.e. group A and group B).
Each state has its own public service commission with functions similar to the UPSC. The major function of state public service commission is to conduct examinations and recruitment for appointments to the services of state including Civil services and others. Through state service commission the candidates are selected.
Maratha Vidya Prasarak Samaj’s K.P.G. Arts, Commerce & Science College has always been in the forefront to provide various services to students. Considering the need of the students to prepare and compete in the Indian Administrative Services and Other State Level and Private sector services, the college had taken a decision and so establish Competitive Examinations Centre.The Centre’s guidance activities were modified and continued on self-supportive basis. The centre has been providing guidance lecture throughout the year for UPSC & MPSC aspirants.Seminars, workshops are conducted with special focus on the timely needs of the students at each phase of their progress and process. In it, the students are able to equip themselves in many areas which they were not prepared for.The guest lecturers, are engaged in the guidance programm.
The objectives of the Competitive Examination Centre are:
- Creating awareness & encouraging the youth of Maharashtra, especially rural area like Igatpuri for UPSC/MPSC Civil Service and other Competitive Examinations.
- To cultivate interest and provide specific training required for such Examinations.
- To build confidence among the students through continuous counselling, and provide necessary exposure to competitive environment.
- To provide adequate infrastructure for achieving such targets.
- To increase the ratio of Maharashtrian candidates in Union Civil Services.
- To increase the percentage of candidates from deprived sections of the society (Marathi medium, rural background as well as girl students) in the Civil Services.
- To generate quality study material in Marathi as well as in English.
- To contribute towards revitalization of Humanities and social Sciences through launching innovative courses.
Prof. D. N. Giri